Thread: Comic Book and Graphic Novel Collection Repository Thread

beep street Grizzled Veteran itsallgoodbabyGb's Avatar

Art Comic Book and Graphic Novel Collection Repository Thread

this thread is simply an attempt to create a repository for comics and graphic novels that we all own, and perhaps a platform for discussion on these image-narrative gems. i didn't see a thread like this around so i thought i'd make it myself.

after watching the dark knight about 10 times in the last week and also having read quite a few gaiman novels recently i've finally snapped this morning and dusted off my weird and semi-extensive collection to be perused at leisure and length. i was specifically looking for batman comics but i only own 6, weirdly. anyway, i'm going to list them all here and try to categorise them, with a little paragraph on each volume or paperback or issue or whatever on what i think of them and why i have them. i'll post pictures with them too

the hope is that you'll all get in on the act and we'll whip up an epic thread of discussion, presentation and exposition on a medium which has so much to offer in terms of art, storytelling and timeless characters and stories. I'm probably going to split my collection into a number of posts anyway, because i have quite a lot. anyway, let me begin.

i'll start with my Image.

Spawn 1, 2, 3 and 4.

I don't even have that much of an opinion about this story. it's an intriguing little number though that sets a dark and ominous tone very quickly, illustrated with gorgeous artwork and evocative imagery.

geezer doesn't know who he is, apart from that he came back from hell - to a pretty grimy world - and that the beautiful face of a lady he left behind keeps plaguing him. he saves another lady from a nasty bunch of rapist hoods as a countdown begins. meanwhile a nasty geezer called the violator comes along to duke it out, before a devil type guy comes along and reveals the whole game, which involves taking on God, eventually, i believe.

i've never been compelled to go out and get more issues to find out where the story leads, but it is a pretty decent origin, and like i say the artwork is nothing short of fantastic.

think i'll leave it at that for this initial post, will be back shortly with more

edit - i think this is fine, will be modifying posts to make them quicker to load and easier to read.
    Last edited by itsallgoodbabyGb; 10-16-2008 at 02:37 PM.

ok, so i thought i'd tackle Dark Horse next.

Sin City - The Hard Goodbye.

this is basically Marv's story as told in the film, and when you read it you notice that the comic and the movie are almost word-for-word identical, if not entirely. this is, obviously, not a bad thing. my favourite character, and i really should get some more sin city.

'i don't know about you, but i'm having a ball'

next up, Aliens Rogue 2 (of 4)

i have this purely because i do quite like some of the dark horse comics and novels that play with the alien franchise, some quite ridiculous and throwaway but worth the cartoonish crack at the idea in a non-film format. ones like rogue have interesting ideas and concepts in them - genocide is another favourite but i only have the novel - and i've read the rogue novel and enjoyed it muchos, but the comic isn't that much fun. the concepts i like in the novel are the maze at the end, the finally realised taming of the alien (even though that erodes the creature's mistique somewhat, but works in this EU setting) and the king alien. here's a select screen from the comic for your delectation.

now for Aliens Apocalypse - The Destroying Angels 3 and 4 (of 4)

i got a few of these mainly because i was fascinated by the dark horse take on the space jockeys, given how intriguing their minimal exposure in the original film was of course. and of course, this distinctly 'comic-book' story seems to trivialise the creature, although there is an epic, billion year spanning struggle with the aliens behind it that is enjoyable to read about. the artwork is good, dark and crisp, full of detail and scale, and it's worth reading if you're an alien fan.

this is the backstory

and this is how they imagine an alien from a jockey to look like (look closely, there's normal aliens on it, it's massive)

next, my only full story arc, Predator - Big Game 1, 2, 3 and 4

this little series is a lot of fun for someone who likes the franchise and what it represents... but it's not quite what i had in mind for a predator comic. it almost seems like that film, 'what dreams may come', a festival of colours and lines, a little cartoonish, rather then a dark, visceral panorama of paranoia and stealth. there's none of that sense of scale, and the story is not particularly epic; it's just a rehash of the original predator film but with a navajo indian protagonist in the midwest. fun though. here are some caps for your consideration.

lol DA MAITEE COOGAR HAS LEYIN DA SMAKDAUN ON DA PREDATOR

lol PREDATOR HAS CHUTIN MAI ORTOMATIK RAIFUL I THORT HE HAS LIEK MOAR WEPONS DEN DA INTYRE ARMEE there's a reason why batman doesn't use guns, and pred has a superior arsenal, but whatever, interesting to see it with one

and this is to be fair a fucking awesome final panel

i have one more dark horse story, although technically the comic itself is published by boxtree or whoever but the mask is dark horse. so, i present to you The Official Movie Adaptation of The Mask.

it's good for lulz, pretty much whenever the mask itself is doing something. i remember the film as a kid and although i've never read any other mask stories or indeed seen any other mask films - heard there was a silly sequel - i have a fondness for this OTT kiddie mask story which jim carrey acted his little boots out in. here's probably the funniest bit - when his eyes pop out at the ratty old cunt and she tries to shotgun him (to be fair that's what i'd try to do if a supernatural green headed clown made a face like that at me after sledgehammering an out of control and seemingly animate old fashioned alarm clock)

jesus didn't mean to overkill every single one like i am, but whatever, read a few of spike's threads and thought what the hell i'll ape his successful style cheers buddy

plenty more to come, i'll do marvel next. before i get started with the marvels i'll do my batman collection however, because it's what prompted me to do this thread, and it's also quite small. anyway, good night and till tomorrow peeps
    Last edited by itsallgoodbabyGb; 10-16-2008 at 04:47 PM.

SuperAdmin-Prime Godlike Poster Vega's Avatar
    I have that The Mask one.

If I tried to list all the comics and graphic novels I have I'd be here all night and I'd still forget a ton.
    GameGossip Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    I have that The Mask one.

If I tried to list all the comics and graphic novels I have I'd be here all night and I'd still forget a ton.
    do eet!! lets whip up a comic shitstorm. i made a photobucket especially for this thread, so none of you can doubt my insane dedication .

now for my rather thin load of batman before spiderman, mainly symbiote stories, a few FFs, ghost riders and then dive balls deep into my DC collection - the demon, green lantern, lobo, a superman compilation, a big crossover featuring loads of characters called cosmic odyssey etc. which will lead onto my distinctly gaimanish vertigo compendium of sandman and friends with a side dish of lucifer and a little more mature DC in the form of the lovely books of magic. i'll conclude with tokyopop mangas, calvin and hobbes and the loveable tintin.

i may have missed something but that's roundabout the extent of my collection. i'll try to put at least one cap along with the covers from each story arc or compilation. if anyone else wants to list their comics or discuss any particular issues or story arcs, that's what this thread is for academiacs!

right, time for some DC with my light smattering of batman literature. i have a few more that don't focus on the venerable mr wayne but they'll come later, and they're also a bit shit. without further ado, let us begin

i'll begin with Detective Comics 601, 602 and 603, a story called Tulpa.

the tulpa is a creature created by someone who knows how with the mind, a doppelganger who exists to exert the will of the master, a guy called tenzin wyatt who is trying to fend off a loan shark called rafe kellogg and a few burly henchmen who are terrorising him for money his late father, who taught him these tibetan arts, owed them; first he creates a few dudes to rob rich men to pay the sharks off but when their efforts fail - one of them tries to rob wayne manor and beats up alfred - he creates a big indian rage demon to chop the sharks up. batman muscles in and during events asks jason blood for his own *real* demon's help, which he naturally refuses - more on that later in the demon - and then batman, the sharks and a couple of cops end up duking it with the big bastard at a building site and blood realises he must release etrigan once more. cue awesome demon slaying action

this series is cool but also an almost contrived setup for batman and etrigan to dance here at the end. all about releasing/battling with your inner demons and all that jazz. etrigan shines here, looking and behaving aptly nasty, which got me into the character originally with gusto.

next up, Batman and Judge Dredd, in Judgement on Gotham.

this crossover is published by 2000AD and features the judge and batman teaming up because judge death has obtained a cross dimensional jumper and used it to go to gotham and wreak havoc. he runs into batman who torches his body, forcing his spirit to fuck off and look for another host. batman grabs the dimensional thing and goes to megacity 1 where he bumps into some burly prick with a dial on his head called the mean machine - probably based on vinnie jones - who gets the dimensioner and goes to gotham while dredd arrests bats. some telepathic judge chick called anderson comes along and decides to bust batman out to save gotham. meanwhile, death teams up with the scarecrow, who manages to double cross him after he kills scarecrow's assistant, in quite a cool way - bit hard to read the text but gist is scarecrow basically uses his fear spray on judge death

anyway, they all converge on some metal concert where it all kicks off and batman and dredd obviously win before squaring up again. great fun. also, apparently, judge dredd was originally published by fleetway. if i still had all my sonic the comics, i'd have lumped it in with all of them. surprising to think they were both published by the same guys. anyway, enjoy ->

next up, the Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight 1991 Annual, Duel.

this one isn't too complicated, bats is in korea trudging through the snow with a burden. he comes to an old palace in the mountainside where an old man who is the only one in the world batman feels humble before - ras? he's not named - tells him to enter a chamber which once he has done so leads him through a series of hallucinatory challenges of character and morals, such as traversing a chasm over a pit of hell, confronting a bug alien which has invaded 50s america, a gang war in the prohibition era, resisting a tempting sorceress and fighting her dragon and fighting hitler and a platoon of zombie nazi soldiers. i shit you not.

at the end hitler is revealed to be the joker and the joker is revealed to be the burden which the old master instructed batman to not discard at any cost. the final, deft plot twist is the revelation of the timeless and polar opposites battle between the carefree, insane and destructive joker and the batman who could end it all and kill the joker as he pleads batman to do, but clings to the morals that make him the man he is. a compelling read

finally, this Batman, the first 12c adventure apparently. it isn't numbered inside, but the story is called War Games: Prelude - No Help, and the story continues in Detective Comics 797 apparently, although i've never done so.

i got it because i wanted to see what batman was like in 2004, and because it was available for pennies at a uni fair. it actually reads quite well, with nice art and good dialogue. we follow a narrative led by someone called spoiler, who is spying on a meeting between all the crime gangs in gotham, including the galantes, escabedos, triads, yakuza, the 'burnley town massive', and the penguin, all with bodyguards, the only one i've heard of before, deadshot, guarding the penguin. catwoman joins spoiler near the end for a chat. meanwhile, a party batman's holding is crashed by a group called kobra terrorists who want to biologicalfuck everyone. spoiler was apparently the 4th robin, and she does a good job of summing up the whole robin story, from the first to her ->

this one doesn't seem to be much more then a teaser for current events - i have no idea who the fuck the kobra group are or why all the criminals meet and then gun each other down ;of course deadshot and the penguin get away; at least their bodies don't seem to be lying around afterwards - and an infodump for anyone out of the loop, like me - i now know there's been 4 robins; the first one is now nightwing, joker blew the second one up and spoiler became one but was quickly rejected by batman, and she had become one because her boyfriend was one before her - but it's a nice issue to have.

all that chatter and screenshotdumping and only 6 comics. i'm definitely getting the one where bane breaks his back though, and the killing joke, and the 1st spiderman batman crossover featuring the joker and carnage, who as i'll show you is one of my favourite villains - and also the most misused and abused plotwise - of all.

next up for you lovely people, my marvels. good evening
    Last edited by itsallgoodbabyGb; 10-16-2008 at 05:58 PM.

make mine marvel

hey guys! come on, post your comics here. i'll continue to, anyway! i have some as pdfs and cbrs on my comps which friends sent or gave me which i won't be posting, for now at least. meanwhile, up next is my rather small collection of marvels, split into spidermans, non spidermans and spidermans featuring carnage, who is my absolute favourite marvel villain. nuff said.

a lot of these comics seem to be compendiums, with 2 or 3 stories from different lines, continuities and eras packed together. for the casual reader which i once was it's great, 3 for the price of 1, but for someone who likes to categorise their comics and keep them ordered, it can lead to a little confusion and a bit of a mess, but i'll do my best.

right then, Marvel.

first up, Astonishing Spider-man no. 8, which contains the stories Back from the Edge, parts 3 and 4, as presented in Amazing Spider-man 396 and Spectacular Spider-man 219 respectively, and the Exile Returns, part 2, as presented in Spider-man 52, Astonishing Spider-man no.9, which contains Web of Death part 1, originally presented in Amazing Spider-man 397, and the Exile Returns, parts 3 and 4, as published in Web of Spider-man 119 and Spider-man 53 originally, and Astonishing Spiderman no.23, which contains and the Jackal Cries, "Death!", originally in Spider-man: Maximum Clonage Alpha 1, and spiderman v captain britain, originally printed in Marvel Team-Up 65.

told you it was complicated

Back from the Edge features the owl and the vulture teaming up, although it's not straightforward as the owl is having an identity crisis and is resistant to, even repulsed by, the vulture's plans for a deadly virus to wipe the city out and redefine both their identities by killing everyone who knew who they used to be. meanwhile, spiderman is being pretty emo himself, and tries to talk the daredevil into helping him out, who tells spiderman to piss off and also keeps claiming matt murdock is dead - not clued up on daredevil storyline so not sure if he was telling the truth or being metaforikal. anyway, the 4 have a confrontation during which spiderman is nicked by a vulture with the virus, and the daredevil fights the 2 green birds, simultaneously saving spiderman. meanwhile, MJ visits her sister and plucks up the courage to visit her father, who wasn't the kindly sort for bringing up a pair of young girls. it's a contemplative and desperate story for all concerned with nice artwork which reads well; a few happy endings and a few that aren't.

the Exile Returns features ben reilly as he gains his scarlet spider alias courtesy of a bugle reporter called ken ellis, and makes his name by confronting venom. venom teaches him a lesson before a symbiotic woman called scream interupts the SS's death and begs venom for help. venom, repulsed by the destruction previously caused by his symbiotic offspring from the storyline that bred scream - not to mention carnage - attacks her instead, allowing the SS to build up the strength - not to mention courage - to knock them into the river and save some civilians. venom, in a rage, tracks them and takes scream out as SS recovers from the initial fight, meeting greer for the first time and evading ellis at the hospital. SS then intervenes before venom kills scream, and they have a massive battle during which the SS shows a little iniative, creativity and guile and wins the day. meanwhile some guy called kaine watches the battle, unhappy that SS wins. some mob boss kill his brother and grim hunter swears he will avenge kraven's death. again, nice artwork, decent dialogue and some impressive battles make this one a winner.

Web of Death meanwhile features dr octopus and a capable ladyfriend of his called stunner who track spiderman as he stumbles around dying from the virus the vulture infected him with, and ends with doc ock picking spiderman's unconscious body up and ruminating and lamenting upon a worthy opponent and how he must save him.

Jackal Cries Death is the beginning of the maximum clonage storyline, which is probably the most despised and misguided plot in the history of comics, with a few good concepts nonetheless. the jackal and a spiderman clone who becomes spidercide kill a small town with a virus, while spiderman swings around miserably contemplating the fact that he's the clone and ben reilly's the real spiderman - thank god they later reversed it - we see a roundup of how spidey survived the vulture's virus and what happened since,

MJ is preggers, that kaine guy escapes jail, some guy who can adapt and evolve almost instantly survives that town virus and some team called the new warriors are sent to get him, while the jackal sends the clone who turns into spidercide. the scarlet spider turns up and a 4 way battles ensues which ends with spidercide grabbing the adapting guy and the SS allying with the new warriors. spiderman meanwhile joins forces with the jackal in his melancholy, who takes advantage of it to manipulate him with the offer of a purpose alongside a whole army of spidey clones. the punisher is seen overhearing events too.

it's a bit of an overkill mess and making parker a clone was one of the worst ideas of all time, i mean marvel and DC have a big bibliographical mess of continuities and parallel dimensions on their hands but shit like that is uncalled for, spidey's supposed to be untouchable. anyway this astonishing contains a backstory for the new warriors, but only a few of them have interesting powers and they have less personality then a sack of potatoes anyway so fuck them.

finally the captain britain story - spidey and captain britain fight, before spidey saves captain britain's life and he tells spidey his story. i think it involves merlin and some goddess. anyway, some guy called arcade kidnaps them both at the end. very, very cartoonish. how times have changed. this astonishing contains captain britain's backstory too, but he seems a little shit too, to be honest.

right! next up is a comic... whose cover i don't have. the next one is apparently Onslaught: Marvel Universe. it features spiderman and the scarlet spider fighting against those giant sentinel robots from the x men. at this point ben reilly has the spiderman outfit and this is at the height of his time. the artwork is nice, but i'm not too sure why i even have it. still, here you go.

next up, the Amazing Spider-man Vol.4 - the Life and Death of Spiders, which contains issues 46, 47, 48, 49 and 50 of Volume 2 of the Amazing Spider-man line.

this one is pretty good. the art is a little cartoonish but very crisp and modern, and conveys beautifully with a range of tones and colours. the story features some guy called doctor strange telling spiderman in a dream about a nasty but really, really awesome badgirl called shathra from the 'astral plane' who's a spiderwasp type being who is trying to destroy spiderman. she pushes spiderman's rage to the limit by appearing as a normal woman on a tv show and spreading rumours about spiderman to destroy his relationships. they battle before he escapes barely with his life. then a guy called ezekiel - who seems to have his own agenda hinted at in panels without spiderman - helps him recover and then prepares him for a showdown at a temple in ghana which he wins thanks to an army of spiders. crazy stuff.

then he goes to find MJ and discuss problems they've apparently been having, not knowing she's gone to find peter - apparently they'd seperated for a while - a storm forces their planes down though and they meet randomly at the airport, before some extremists attack dr doom who is also passing through on the way to a political conference. captain america is disguised as on of his guards, and then he and spiderman take out the extremists, protecting doom, before peter and MJ reconcile in the aftermath and the volume ends happily. the dialogue in this volume is very strong, btw; there's some pretty good humour in it too. spiderman at his best here, IMO.

i'll leave it at this for tonight, since i'm really overkilling the caps and the synopsis'. if any of you want to post your own collections, even just in list form, you're very welcome to. next i will continue with my marvels, before moving on to more DC. excelsior!
    Last edited by itsallgoodbabyGb; 11-09-2008 at 10:11 PM.

SuperAdmin-Prime Godlike Poster Vega's Avatar
    hey guys! come on, post your comics here. i'll continue to; i have some as pdfs and cbrs on my comps which friends sent or gave me which i won't be posting for now
    Be careful about those, because going too far with that can be illegal. I'm not entirely where the line is, but I'd rather not find out. I personally have probably at least 100 gigs of CBR comics. Good stuff.

I'm especially enjoying Geoff Johns with his current run on Green Lantern.
    GameGossip Admin

When the Going gets Weird... the Weird turn Pro Hardcore Veteran ShadowHunter1313's Avatar
    Here's my listings of trade paperbacks and hardcovers where applicable... and this will be broken up by publisher/category/title etc etc

Dark Horse:

Aliens:
    Book One - Three (B/W Editions)
    Nightmare Asylum - Female War (Re-Mastered Editions)
    Hive
    Genocide
    Tribes (hardcover)
    Batman vs. Aliens
    Superman vs Aliens
    Aliens vs Predator
    Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator (which should've been fucking epic but sucked fucking arse)
    AVP: War
    AVP: Eternal
    AVP: Deadliest of the Species (Limited Edition Hardback #406/1000)

(not Dark Horse but its worth noting that I finally tracked the Colonial Marines Technical Manual down too finally)

Predator:
    Concrete Jungle
    Big Game
    Cold War
    Batman vs Predator I and II
    Predator vs. Judge Dredd
    Tarzan vs Predator: At Earth's Core

Terminator:
    Terminator
    Secondary Objectives
    Enemy Within
    Hunters And Killers
    Robocop vs Terminator
    Superman vs Terminator
    EndGame

Other DH titles:
    Art Adam's Creature Features
    Age of Reptiles: Tribal Warfare, The Hunt
    The Mask and The Mask Returns
    Hellboy: Seed of Destruction, Wake The Devil, Chained Coffin and Others
    The Thing From Another World and TFAW: Climate of Fear
    Virus
    Godzilla: 1985, Age of Monsters, Past Present and Future
    Sin City: Sin City (later re-titled The Hard Goodbye for the movie), A Dame to Kill For, The Big Fat Kill, That Yellow Bastard, The Babe Wore Red and Other Stories, Family Values, Booze Broads and Bullets, To Hell and Back (all original editions before they went and revamped them for the movie)
    Universal Monsters
    -----Auto added double post 5/10/2008 at 08:27:47-----
    Batman:
    Long Halloween
    Knightfall: Broken Bat, Who Rules the Night, Knightsend
    Venom
    Batman and Dracula: Crimson Storm, Bloodstorm, Red Rain
    Haunted Knight
    Manbat

Vertigo:
    Preacher: 0-9
    Transmetropolitan: 0-10
    Exterminators 1-3
    The War That Time Forgot Vol. 1

Marvel:

Spiderman: Birth of Venom, Maximum Carnage, Torment, Venom vs Carnage
    X-Men: Mutant Genesis, Days of the Future Past, X-cutioner's Song
    Punisher: Warzone, In The Beginning, Kills The Marvel Universe, Barricuda,
    Ghost Rider, Wolverine, Punisher: Hearts of Darkness
    Essential: Godzilla, Werewolf by Night Vol 1

Hardbacks:
    Marvel Monsters
    Marvel Zombies, Dead Days, Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness, Covers
    Devil Dinosaur

the rest will be completed in the next post or so... my fingers hurt...
    Last edited by ShadowHunter1313; 10-05-2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Vega View Post
    Be careful about those, because going too far with that can be illegal. I'm not entirely where the line is, but I'd rather not find out. I personally have probably at least 100 gigs of CBR comics. Good stuff.

I'm especially enjoying Geoff Johns with his current run on Green Lantern.
    i'll just post a few of mine, absolute favourites, most of them are star wars ones on my other comp anyway that i've not even read yet. and funnily enough i've had a look and i have a bunch of watchmen on this comp and i've not read that either for whatever reason

lol, 100 GIGS, that's insane fair do. that's quite a substantial collection indeed. and i wasn't even aware there was a current green lantern run need to get the fuck into that right away.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowHunter1313 View Post
    Here's my listings of trade paperbacks and hardcovers where applicable... and this will be broken up by publisher/category/title etc etc

Dark Horse:

Aliens:
    Genocide
    Aliens vs Predator vs Terminator (which should've been fucking epic but sucked fucking arse)

Predator:
    Tarzan vs Predator: At Earth's Core

Terminator:
    Robocop vs Terminator
    Superman vs Terminator

Other DH titles:
    Hellboy: Seed of Destruction, Wake The Devil, Chained Coffin and Others
    Sin City: Sin City (later re-titled The Hard Goodbye for the movie), A Dame to Kill For, The Big Fat Kill, That Yellow Bastard, The Babe Wore Red and Other Stories, Family Values, Booze Broads and Bullets, To Hell and Back (all original editions before they went and revamped them for the movie)

Batman:
    Batman and Dracula: Crimson Storm, Bloodstorm, Red Rain

Marvel:

Spiderman: Birth of Venom, Maximum Carnage, Torment, Venom vs Carnage

the rest will be completed in the next post or so... my fingers hurt...
    nice one bro, good collection you've got. quoted these ones -

- i've got genocide the novel. loved the red alien/original offshoot war and the whole royal jelly deal. awesum.
    - didn't know there was an AvPvTerminator, and i'm not sure how it works either since they're distinctly different universes, but whatever, i can see how it could potential win too, but i'll take your word that it sucks
    - predator v... tarzan??? you've got to be fucking joking right?
    - robocop v terminator is a cool what if idea. as for terminator v superman, that would only be interesting to me with the T1000
    - 300 and hellboy - similar to the movies, or different? more cartoonish or more mature?
    - sin citys pre-film versions - any differences with the post film release publications? mine is a post. also didn't know hard goodbye was originally called sin city as a story
    - batman and... dracula???????
    - i'm also a big carnage fan and like venom and the other symbiotic characters too

right, as for this thread, i'm going to play around with resizing images on photobucket, to make this thread more accessible and quicker to load as well as easier to view. i have a load more images of other comics on the way so i want to make this thread streamlined and easy to peruse. sorry it has been otherwise up until now. i can be pretty slow on the uptake.

currently reading DC demon comics. my next entries here will be non spiderman marvels and then carnage featuring spiderman marvels, before some more DC. first, i'll be resizing images and cleaning up my previous posts. adios until the next time

'cuz they rapin' everybody out there Hardcore Veteran spike_gta's Avatar
    Oooh posting all mine will take one hell of a long time... Will come with my TPBs soon!

Something something something...DARK SIDE Something something something...COMPLETE

When the Going gets Weird... the Weird turn Pro Hardcore Veteran ShadowHunter1313's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by itsallgoodbabyGb View Post
    - didn't know there was an AvPvTerminator, and i'm not sure how it works either since they're distinctly different universes, but whatever, i can see how it could potential win too, but i'll take your word that it sucks
    - predator v... tarzan??? you've got to be fucking joking right?
    - robocop v terminator is a cool what if idea. as for terminator v superman, that would only be interesting to me with the T1000
    - 300 and hellboy - similar to the movies, or different? more cartoonish or more mature?
    - sin citys pre-film versions - any differences with the post film release publications? mine is a post. also didn't know hard goodbye was originally called sin city as a story
    - batman and... dracula???????
    in order:
    -yeah i was disappointed, a story with that much potential and they make it into something post a:r timeline wise
    -its actually a pretty decent story, both are primal hunters in a prehistoric setting, its not bad.
    -oh more mature for sure. theres no difference between the books pre or post movie really, they just revamped the cover designs and put them into chronological order much like they did with 30 days of night. 300 was modified slightly for hollywood but the story still stands fast regardless.
    -batman and dracula is fucking sweet, they collected all 3 books into one big trade now. but the story is set in an older gotham... like late 18th century perhaps? it seems almost victorian. the first book is batman and drac duking it out, then batman gets bit and well... the rest would be telling.

Dead parts surround you Hardcore Veteran kirkyl's Avatar
    Well time to show off my collection.

Sorry about the crappy quality pics.

Also i have the 300 graphic novel but i've missplaced it.

Last edited by kirkyl; 10-13-2008 at 07:22 AM.

+2 points for Kirkyl for I Am Legend and 28 Days Later. I'll post my horror comics on the 'morrow

Quote Originally Posted by spike_gta View Post
    Oooh posting all mine will take one hell of a long time... Will come with my TPBs soon!
    if you're up for it, looking forward to

in order:
    -yeah i was disappointed, a story with that much potential and they make it into something post a:r timeline wise
    -its actually a pretty decent story, both are primal hunters in a prehistoric setting, its not bad.
    -oh more mature for sure. theres no difference between the books pre or post movie really, they just revamped the cover designs and put them into chronological order much like they did with 30 days of night. 300 was modified slightly for hollywood but the story still stands fast regardless.
    -batman and dracula is fucking sweet, they collected all 3 books into one big trade now. but the story is set in an older gotham... like late 18th century perhaps? it seems almost victorian. the first book is batman and drac duking it out, then batman gets bit and well... the rest would be telling.
    in order
    - post a:r is stupid as that timeline is not compatible with the terminator timeline; ah well. wasted opportunity
    - how the fuck can tarzan possibly stand up to the predator's weaponry? i don't buy it. fair enough if you liked it i guess
    - nice that they're mature, i suppose that's what inspired them to make adaptations of the stories. 300 was pretty good, if more concerned with style, while hellboy was very cartoonish, IMO.
    - 18th century, and batman gets bitten? i'm intrigued.
    nice one

Quote Originally Posted by kirkyl View Post
    Well time to show off my collection.

Sorry about the crappy quality pics.

Also i have the 300 graphic novel but i've missplaced it.
    awesome stuff man, and the picture quality is great, no problem with that.

- was i am legend originally a novel, or is that comic the original story? and is it better then the film? i thought the film was flawed, personally, good aspects, good sets, but flawed
    - i love 28 days later, so i'm probably going to pick up that aftermatch comic
    - halo graphic novel! i have all the novels. is it from the games, or in between?
    - i also envy your large sin city collection, awesum

+2 points for Kirkyl for I Am Legend and 28 Days Later. I'll post my horror comics on the 'morrow
    nice one, i have would could be classed as horror in the demon, at least the wagner miniseries and the later issues of the early 90s run by ennis and mccrea, certainly. anyway, if you do put them up, looking forward to

right! after much tinkering and resizing and editing, i've finally completed streamlining and editing my first few posts in this thread, and it seems to load quicker and it looks neater; i hope that it's better for any of you reading it too, and of course hopefully for anyone else new to the thread. if you are new, share your own collections with us, if you like! anyway, i've got a few ghost rider and fantastic four and other marvels coming up, and i think i'll stick all my carnage featuring spiderman marvels in after them. till next time

awesome stuff man, and the picture quality is great, no problem with that.

- was i am legend originally a novel, or is that comic the original story? and is it better then the film? i thought the film was flawed, personally, good aspects, good sets, but flawed
    - i love 28 days later, so i'm probably going to pick up that aftermatch comic
    - halo graphic novel! i have all the novels. is it from the games, or in between?
    - i also envy your large sin city collection, awesum
    The novel i have is based off the book I am Legend/Omega man although i've not read the book compared to the novel but by the sounds of things its pretty similar to the book.

In my opinion it is better than the film although the film has got the isolation and atmosphere that i got the feeling of reading the novel,also i like the idea of vampires much better than infected skinny people with no hair.

"Come out nevile!" also should of been in the film

Overall yes the book/novel is vastly different and better than the film in many ways.

28 Days Later: The aftermath is worth reading if you love the films too,shows the creation of the rage virus (which was an accident) and it has 4 stories overall which chronicles the events before,during and after the original film.

The Halo novel i have came out in 2006 and is different to the recent uprising comics that follow the events of Halo 3,uprising is 4 seperate stories set during Halo and just before Halo 2 and mostly follows Sgt Johnson and some minor Halo characters.

Yup i have all 7 novels,To Hell and Back (the last novel pictured) is by far my favourite and is the longest of the novels,hope to see it get made into one of the forthcoming Sin City sequels,it'll be worth watching just for the trippy acid sequence alone.

"IGNORE ME!!!" Forum Officer
    Hardcore Veteran
    My shelf:

DC/Vertigo:

Batman: Year One
    Batman: Lovers & Madmen
    Batman: The Long Halloween
    Batman: The Killing Joke
    , The Deluxe Edition
    Batman: Arkham Asylum - A Serious House on Serious Earth 15th Anniversary Edition
    Batman: Hush, Vol. 1 and 2
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
    All-Star Superman
    , Vol. 1
    Kingdom Come
    Animal Man: Deus Ex Machina
    Watchmen
    John Constantine, Hellblazer: Dangerous Habits
    Preacher
    , Vol. 1-6
    Transmetropolitan: Back on the Street
    V for Vendetta

Marvel/MAX:

Daredevil: Guardian Devil Premiere Edition
    Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger Born
    The Punisher: Born
    The Punisher: Welcome Back, Frank
    The Punisher MAX
    , Vol. 1-3 (storyarcs 1-6)
    Ultimate Spider-Man: Venom Premiere Edition
    Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1-2

Dark Horse:

Hellboy, Vol. 1-5

IDW:

30 Days of Night

Image/Top Cow:

Wanted Assassin's Edition
    This is not for you.

The poster formerly known as Warrior Alien.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkyl View Post
    The novel i have is based off the book I am Legend/Omega man although i've not read the book compared to the novel but by the sounds of things its pretty similar to the book.

In my opinion it is better than the film although the film has got the isolation and atmosphere that i got the feeling of reading the novel,also i like the idea of vampires much better than infected skinny people with no hair.

"Come out nevile!" also should of been in the film

Overall yes the book/novel is vastly different and better than the film in many ways.

28 Days Later: The aftermath is worth reading if you love the films too,shows the creation of the rage virus (which was an accident) and it has 4 stories overall which chronicles the events before,during and after the original film.

The Halo novel i have came out in 2006 and is different to the recent uprising comics that follow the events of Halo 3,uprising is 4 seperate stories set during Halo and just before Halo 2 and mostly follows Sgt Johnson and some minor Halo characters.

Yup i have all 7 novels,To Hell and Back (the last novel pictured) is by far my favourite and is the longest of the novels,hope to see it get made into one of the forthcoming Sin City sequels,it'll be worth watching just for the trippy acid sequence alone.

never read the original novel but i know what happens in it and it sounds a lot better then the film. you're right though, the sequences of will driving through the empty city with the overgrown vegetation and the animals was great.

have you seen the alternative ending? it hinted at intelligence in the megazombies in the film, who had simply come to collect their girlfriend, and neville survives.

rage virus being an accident sounds great, and i'll be getting that graphic novel, it sounds like something i'd enjoy having, i did like days, although weeks was a little distracting due to the idiocy of every character, but it had a great ending

i have the halo novels, 5 of them, and am interested in reading the comics, although they don't seem to have any interesting new twists in their repetoire from what i've seen of 3; i'd be interested to read halo comics though, the art could bring a new perspective to the universe

are you saying that's all of them? there's 7 sin city graphic novels in total? fair play. imdb says they're making 2 sequels, which is good; the first film was one of the very best of the comic adaptation films i've seen. Sin City 2 (2010) Sin City 3 (2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Damien Stryker View Post
    My shelf
    great shelf quite a few titles i plan to get in there; thanks for putting them up

ok, i'm going to continue to put mine up now, starting with more marvel. had a lot of fun reading through my entire collection, but i didn't post here for a while for a few reasons, but now i shall resume.

Marvel non spidermanicals now.

first up, the story Rise of the Midnight Sons, parts 2, 3 and 4, collected in Spirits of Vengeance 1, Morbius 1 and Darkhold 1 respectively.

this story features the supernatural plethora of the Marvel cast. in part 2 the ghost rider tries to rope some guy called John Blaze into a quest to defeat a demon called Lilith and her children who the rider has prophesied returning and destroying the world. Blaze seems reluctant but when he goes home to family and travelling circus friends, a few sons of Lilith arrive to grab one of them, and after he saves his son and takes down a rather reasonable and tragic demon son called Creed he agrees to join in the fun and go after the rest.

part 3 features an origin story of Morbius. Blaze and the rider go to find him due to significance in the rider's visions and they capture him with the help of his wife. we see how he became the artificial vamp during experiments with vampire bats while a scientist called Langford is recruited by wife to cure him. he's actually working for someone called Paine and trying to kill Morbius, but one of Lilith's demon sons sneaks into the lab and puts his blood in the serum thinking it's to cure Morbius, and the combination of poison and demon blood is injected into Morbius, and it causes unknown reactions but doesn't kill him as both parties intended. anyway his wife finds out and confronts Langford but is then coldly shot. Morbius finds her and they exchange 'love you's before she dies and he gives into bloodthirst and drains her. in a vengeful fury he kills all the scientists, awesomely.

i never liked the concept of Morbius, borne out of a defiance towards a dictum against using vampires in comics, but i liked the demon blood twist and his bond with his wife and tragedy of their love, her desire to cure him and the tragic rage that emanates from him following her quite brutal death. anyway ghost rider and Blaze leave him with a warning to feed only on criminals, no innocents, he finding purpose in that assertion, after the rider figures he wasn't important after all. ends with parker declaring to fight morbius.

part 4 features some girl called vicki montesi, last in a Vatican family who safeguard the world from the 'book of sins'. an Interpol agent called Sam Buchanan defends her from 'darkholders' who worship that book and have allied with Lilith while Blaze and the rider find a prof called Louise Hastings who takes them to Montesi. they have a fight with a guy made of worms and then they have a showdown with wormguy and Lilith in a park, before Lilith et al depart and loads of birds destroy wormguy. he was made by a spell from the book, which a weird dwarf was giving out, and he ends the issue giving another to some other random.

overall the midnight sons story seems very cartoonish and silly at times and only the Morbius chapter holds any interest for me. the Marvel Lilith is decent but the only other thing i enjoyed was the ghost rider, who wasn't characterised much. he is here though -> Ghost Rider part 1 (of 6)

this, co-written by the talented Garth Ennis, features a couple of angels called Daniel and Malachi who go to Earth, away from prying supernatural eyes, to discuss something called Kazann who Malachi was secretly working with who is loose on Earth, and how to clean the situation up. they mention hunters that Hell and Heaven have sent after Kazann, called Hoss and Ruth, and we see them ruthlessly starting the search on Earth. Daniel eventually reveals his plan for Malachi sorting it all out, which is to hire the ghost rider. unfortunately, he's in Hell, so Malachi has to go there and get him first. the art is gorgeously done by someone called Crain, a sharp computer borne feast for the eyes, and the story is intriguing.

one thing, the ghost rider back story given involves a Johnny Blaze selling his soul to the devil to save his friend, and thus becoming the ghost rider when his soul is taken, after fusing with some demon. Blaze seems to be a seperate character to the ghost rider in my early 90's Midnight Sons series as seen above. no matter, retcon or coincidence this one series i plan on completing later.

one thing i noticed - the angels were total pricks, like most of them in DC and Vertigo titles are. Ruth makes a boy who can see what she truly is put his eye out, and Malachi puts a woman who sees him to sleep during his conversation with Daniel. Daniel seems to be the only one who isn't a wanker - he tells Malachi with unease that the lady miscarried - but i wouldn't be surprised if later on in the story he turns out to be an arsehole with an agenda himself. hope not.

anyway, next, Fantastic Four Adventures 15, which features the stories Authoritative Action part 6, originally from Fantastic Four (vol 1) no.508, Hereafter part 1 from Fantastic Four (vol 1) no.509 and The Mad Thinker and his Awesome Android, first published in Fantastic Four (vol 1) no.15.

the first 2 are nicely animated stories which present a somewhat interesting conundrum; dr Doom has possessed Sue Storm. he was in hell, apparently, and in the meantime the FF were trying to run Latveria.

Nick Fury turns up to help them fight Viktor/Sue and warns Mr Fantastic that the UN aren't happy with him taking over Latveria. then Doom transfers to Johnny, and finally to Ben, and they actually have to kill him to stop Doom destroying everyone using the Thing's body.

it's a year on, and the FF, Alicia etc. are in pieces, doing odd jobs and reeling from Ben's death. then in a dream, Reed ruminates on 21 grams lost at death and the transfer of energy and steals Ben's body, and the issue ends with the 3 remaining four hooked up to a machine in their lab designed to send them to the afterlife - which Reed and Viktor had designed in college to get Vik's mum back and which had a flaw which caused it to blow up in Von Doom's face - to get Ben's soul back. outlandish.

the final story is old, and it's rubbish. it features the Mad Thinker who builds a machine which can predict anything. he uses it to lure the FF away from their lab so he can commandeer it. then he creates a living android, but the FF use their ingenuity to outwit them and take the lab back. it may be classic but it's pretty fail and i don't mean to whine but i wouldn't read it otherwise and i'm glad comics have evolved both artistically and in content.

anyway this issue also contains an informative infodump concerning the storylines and history of the Thing character, in honour of his death, however temporary it may seem. anyway, up next is a my collection Spiderman comics featuring my favourite Marvel villain - perhaps even character - of them all - Carnage. He's been extremely misused and creatively abused over the years, but his underlying concept and some of his anarchic achievements make for brilliant reading. the most vicious of Spiderman's anarchist foes and certainly one of the strongest. here he is in one of my favourite comics of all time. i only have it in polish, but i plan to get the issues in english. it does say on the inside cover that the story was originally printed in Amazing Spider-man (vol 1) 361 and 362, but a little research reveals that it also contains 363.

ok, this comic rocks the almighty shit. it features Spiderman, having dealt with Venom seemingly conclusively, and then hearing about his friend at uni getting ripped to pieces by a monster with 'living skin', a survivor says. he thinks it's Venom, but a little research reveals it's Cletus Kassidy, the killer, bonded with Venom's offspring, as he finds out later. he confronts Cletus at a derelict kid's home, and nearly gets killed in the process, discovering just how powerful Carnage, as he reveals his name to be with his own blood as paint , is.

he has to go to the island where he left Venom, who thought he had killed Spiderman and stayed on the island to chill and enjoy the finer things in life, and try not to get killed by Venom, instead getting him to tell Spiderman about Carnage, and also enlist his help if possible. he takes the Human Torch of the FF for support, and even then, Venom nearly kills both of them before they finally subdue him long enough to tell him about Carnage. when the slaughter of innocents and the symbiote are mentioned, Venom finally listens, and agrees to help them take Carnage down.

Carnage's reign of terror attracts Spiderman and Venom to face off against him, but even together he manages to kick their arses, and he distracts them by throwing a baby off a balcony and escaping as they save it. then he kidnaps Jonah Jameson, before being confronted at a rock concert by Spidey and Venom, and chased through the underground metro, finally winding up in a theatre, with casualties along the way, and Spidey and Venom nearly 2 of them. once in the theatre though, Venom occupies Carnage while Spidey uses initiate to activate speakers and hurt the symbiotes with high pitched noise. a furious Venom then attacks Spidey but then Reed Richards and the Torch arrive to take him down again.

it's a superb introduction to the madness of Carnage and a riotous challenge for Spiderman. it's nicely illustrated too by Mark Bagley and it hooked me on the Carnage character. I have Carnage stories and other Spiderman goodies to comes, but for tonight, that's all from me

never read the original novel but i know what happens in it and it sounds a lot better then the film. you're right though, the sequences of will driving through the empty city with the overgrown vegetation and the animals was great.

have you seen the alternative ending? it hinted at intelligence in the megazombies in the film, who had simply come to collect their girlfriend, and neville survives.

rage virus being an accident sounds great, and i'll be getting that graphic novel, it sounds like something i'd enjoy having, i did like days, although weeks was a little distracting due to the idiocy of every character, but it had a great ending

i have the halo novels, 5 of them, and am interested in reading the comics, although they don't seem to have any interesting new twists in their repetoire from what i've seen of 3; i'd be interested to read halo comics though, the art could bring a new perspective to the universe

are ou saying that's all of them? there's 7 sin city graphic novels in total? fair play. imdb says they're making 2 sequels, which is good; the first film was one of the very best of the comic adaptation films i've seen. Sin City 2 (2010) Sin City 3 (2011)

great shelf quite a few titles i plan to get in there; thanks for putting them up
    Yeah i saw the ending they cut from the theatrical version and i think it works better than the other ending.

I didn't mind 28 Weeks Later at all heck the start of the film kicks ass although 28 Days is the best,it'll be interesting to see what they do with the rumoured third film 28 Months which is said to be set in Russia.

I'd rather have a Halo film anyday then multiple Books/Novels but thats down the MS's own fault for being too greedy and stingy with how much money they want from the film studios,i think it will happen at some point but not anytime soon.

Yup theres 7 books and 3 of them inlcuding a short story was used in the first film,A dame to kill for is said to be the centre piece movie for the second film and To Hell and Back being the third with the other novels interlaced between the two.

Oh and Watchmen has just been added to my collection,can't believe i didn't get it sooner.

Hardcore Veteran
    @Kirk: Wonderful, wonderful work by Alan Moore.
    This is not for you.

Few more in my collection i forgot to post pics of.

MGS1 comics

Watchmen

V for Vendetta

Gears Of War

Y The Last Man

Y is my newest collection so far and i'm loving it,already bought 6 books and i've got 4 more to go through.

Its like a cross between I am Legend meets Children of Men,it'll make more sense if you read this:

On July 17, 2002, something (referred to as a plague) simultaneously kills every mammal possessing a Y chromosome - including embryos, fertilized eggs, and even sperm. The only exceptions appear to be Yorick Brown, a young amateur escape artist, and his Capuchin monkey Ampersand. This premise is somewhat similar to the mid-1980s DC graphic Novel Me and Joe Priest, except that in the prior story, rather than all men but one being killed, all men but the main character were rendered infertile.

Society is plunged into chaos as infrastructures collapse and the surviving women everywhere try to cope with the loss of the men, their survivors' guilt, and the knowledge that humanity is doomed to extinction. Vaughan meticulously crafts the new society that emerges out of this chaos, from the conversion of the Washington Monument into a monument to the dead men, to the genesis of the fanatical ultra-feminist Daughters of the Amazon, who believe that Mother Earth cleansed itself of the "aberration" of the Y chromosome, to male impersonators becoming valued romantically and professionally.

Over the course of their journey, Yorick and his friends discover how society has coped in the aftermath of the plague. However, many of the women they encounter have ulterior motives in regard to Yorick.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y_the_last_man

Hardcore Veteran
    Some new additions from this Christmas (gifts and purchases):

Preacher: All Hell's A-Coming, by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon
    Road to Perdition, by Max Allan Collins and Richard Piers Rayner
    A History of Violence, by John Wagner and Vincent Locke
    From Hell, by Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell

From Hell in particular was magnificent - one of the few true "graphic novels" and my favourite next to Morrison/McKean's Arkham Asylum. Moore and Campbell's illustrated appendix, Dance of the Gull Catchers, was just brilliant.

Chapter 10 was absolutely FUCKED, though. I was so disturbed I was worried someone would catch me reading it.

Also, I pre-ordered the premiere hardcover of Frank Miller and David Mazzucchelli's Daredevil: Born Again for when it comes out later this month.
    This is not for you.

I put so much effort into this thread, and so many others did too... now that the forum is back, I feel like having a bash at resurrecting it. anyone wanting to post some of their favourite panels, list their collection or just generally talk about comics, please go for it.

Solía ​​chicos follar como vosotros en la cárcel Elite Poster BullpupDFWM's Avatar
    I like comics. I will bust out a few in a day or so and load up some pics.