Thread: Blade Runner 2049

oderint dum metuant Epic Poster madbomber1998's Avatar

Blade Runner 2049

Anyone going to see the new Blade Runner movie? Any who's seen it, is it any good?

Where's the god-damn beacon? Forum Fanatic Anceh's Avatar
    Not seen it yet, want to see it, no money.

One cannot be betrayed if one has no people. Epic Poster Froberg's Avatar
    Not a terribly big fan of the original one, really need to give it a re-watch one of these days, so I'll be catching it down the pipe some time.

oderint dum metuant Epic Poster madbomber1998's Avatar
    Just saw it. Good movie. Stayed true to the original one without just copying it.

Registered User Forum Fodder
    Just waiting for the lady to be arsed to watch the original then I can go see it!

Only JAMMA Games Need Apply Grizzled Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by madbomber1998 View Post
    Just saw it. Good movie. Stayed true to the original one without just copying it.
    So basically the anti-SW:TFA then.

Sounds good. I felt like I was the only one who found the new SW incredibly disappointing. The reviews on BR:2049 have been very good so far, but I have been fooled by reviews before...

Aaaaaaand apparently the next one is looking like another well known/loved SW movie: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...railer-is-out/

Really mixed about BR2049. To be clear I don't think its a bad movie. But it had some obvious plot holes, and did not feel as layered and deep as the original. I do not feel like I will be rewatching this one over and over and finding more hidden details. I also felt like many of the characters existed merely to advance the plot rather than having any real purpose in that world (who are these scavengers in the junk yard aside from people who exist to demonstrate the power of the satellite? The hidden replicant faction, why do they exist aside from one scene where they save the good guy, and how are they defying their programming? Why does the bad guy want to do what he wants to do, and what is it he wants to do since he gives like four different motivations throughout?)

The audio was a mixed bag. Some was good, but some was trying to hard. The 'clap-boom' effect from the first one was used so routinely as to lose its impact.

Also, it was long and not in a good way. Several scenes seemed extended or just added nothing to the plot. I rarely complain about film length but I get why this one hasn't had a great opening despite good reviews.

Again, I'm probably just nit-picking. It's not a bad movie, I don't regret seeing it. But I don't feel like its destined for classic (cult or otherwise) territory like the original was.